Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Legislative Scholarship Update

I received the following e-mail from Dan Morhaim, M.D. (Maryland House of Delegates, District 11):


Higher Education is expensive - this can help
Each year members of the Maryland General Assembly award scholarships for higher education tuition. But to get one, you need to apply.
Here are some general guidelines:
  • If you are a resident of District 11, you can apply to us for a scholarship.
  • You can apply from each of your District 11 legislators: Del. Dan Morhaim, Del. Dana Stein, Del. Jon Cardin, Sen. Bobby Zirkin. To do so, contact each of our offices individually via 410-841-3000 or
  • Each office has a different application process and criteria for giving awards.
  • You must be attending a Maryland school of higher education: university, community college, trade school, or equivalent.
  • If you are going to school out-of-state, you can only qualify by getting approval for taking a major not offered in Maryland: this is very rare.
  • The typical single scholarship amount ranges from $200-$600, and the funds go directly to your school for the following academic year to reduce your expenses. Applying to all four of your state legislators will increase the total amount you get.
  • There is no age requirement or limit, so this works for adults returning to get additional higher education.
  • If you live in another district, contact those legislators where you reside via
Here are some guidelines for the scholarship I award:
  • Deadline for application is March 31, 2013.
  • You need to re-apply every year even if you've received an award before.
  • Applying is simple and straightforward. Contact my office at 410-841-3054 and/or to get an application and instructions.

No comments:

Post a Comment